Tuesday 18 October 2011

The last 7 days...

So Jim has been with me for almost a week, wonderful company, his last 
night ended up with a night watching models rehearse ahead of a bikini 
fashion show in a stunning venue, hotel, restaurant and bar by the 
beach called Mediterraneo. That was the end of what has been a 
brilliant week, with lots of company. He left Sunday morning to catch 
the 9.30am ferry to Zanzibar.

On Monday, we both met Jack McConnell's friends. Claire MacDonald and 
her husband Donald. Donald was here on business and Claire connected 
with me on Facebook.
She had been in touch with Jack and mentioned her apprehension about 
coming to Dar. I sent her the piece I wrote on Dar which was published 
in the Sunday Mail
and also sent her some links on things to do, places to visit, etc and 
I was thrilled that she came out and I ended up spending lots of time 
with her.
Apart from being super company and super cool, it was so lovely to 
have a Scot to run around with! Oh and an Irishman too!

We covered lots fo ground, both metaphorically and physically.
In no particular order, here are some of the highlights ( pictures on 
FB )

A visit to Kivukoni Fish Market, the Botanic Gardens, Kariakoo, 
appearing in a pop video, Indian meals at the Badminton Club, drinking 
baby coconut milk (nutritious and delicious) and prepared
with a 3ft panga, that's a big knife to you and me! Took a dala dala - 
only 300 shillings, a taxi costs 15 000 into town..saw my first ever 
rainbow here in Tanzania, it rained everyday ( thank you for bringing 
the rain Claire )
had drinks at Slipway, bought Tanzanian dresses which Jim negotiated a 
great price for, was given a gift from C&M which was just what I 
needed, covered lots of ground on foot, chatted non stop and in
general, loved having them here. Spent lots of time with Claire as 
Donald was working mostly. Have agreed to visit them with Charlee at 
their home in Melrose.

All in all, a great week, only interspersed with major stress for 48 
hours with regards to my visa and flight, which I don't want to 
revisit in my head or bore you with!

Loking forward to catching up with Claire and meeting her family and 
her dog Zak in Melrose, when I am back and also nipping over to 
Zanzibar to spend some time with Jim
before I head home to rehoe Charlee, sort out crap and see my nearest 
& dearest!




No comments:

Post a Comment