Sunday 24 July 2011

Amy

So sad to hear of the news of Amy Winehouse's passing through her addictions.
I saw her many moons ago when she played a gig at Cottiers Theatre in Glasgow.
Colin Beattie, my friend and mentor saw her brilliance before millions and booked her on a number of occassions. I've also interviewed her and she wasn't drunk. 

From my personal experiences, the definition of addiction for me is an illness.
I have friends whom have died through being unable to manage their illness.. I also have friends
who won't admit to being addicts because its a label and not a particularly pleasant one.
I won't name names, I love my friends too much.. between them they are addicted to :


shopping, chocolate, red wine, eating, overeating & subsequently puking,  fighting with superiors, unavailable men, gambling, cheese, feeling bad, adrenalin sports, feeling fat, unloved, etc, etc


I tackled ( and continue to )  my own additctions with the help of a very special friend and proffessional and self discipline with my
For me, it was my thinking that me down, take control of your mind and you cannot become addicted. I've read several hundred books on the topic and my friend Susie Pearl is an incredible mrntor and here in Tanzania I have discovered a great friend in the form of Pannasekara, a Chief Buddhist Monk. He's passed onto me some amazing literature and is teaching me to meditate.


Amy's legacy will always be here great lyrical mind and spiritual soul. I wish she'd had her own personal Buddha or Susie Pearl or any of my special girlfriends. Sometimes though, you have to make it on your own and its a lonely journey.......

No comments:

Post a Comment