Saturday 30 July 2011

Kessie

Is Graham's new driver. He is 46, married with 2 kids, both girls, one is at school in Nairoberry, the other is here. His wife is a chef and works nightshift at the Piccolo Hotel.

This is his first new job with National, after spending 9 years driving an Irish family - The O'Driscolls round Dar Es Salaam.

I gave him one of the lovely little meditation books that Panna gifted me. They have met and can speak with each other in Swahili. He was very quiet to begin with but as Kessie and I have spent a week together he's coming more and more out of his shell. He had flu earlier in the week so I sent him home with some Lemsip as he had a fever, he felt better then next day, so hurrah for Lemsip.

I told him about the project we are doing here with Kind Heart Africa and how I was looking for sponsors.. he only goes and calls his old schoolmate to see if she could help. She works a The Vodacom Foundation!?

Amazing and we got a meeting, in which he came to it with me. Now have to work up a proposal to send to them on Monday.

I offered to do his CV, so we are doing that next week and the other night when I went to the Kempinsky  ( to people watch, use their high speed wifi and have a hot chocolate ) to do some work
I suggested that he join me for a coffee. He had never set foot in the Kempinsky. Locals just don't do that or have access to the means to do it.

Anyway, he decided not to come in and after an hour sent me a text to say Miss Heather, may I join you.
I am coming to get you I texted back in a Davina McCall stylee as I walked to greet him at the entrance. WOW. He was gobsmacked, speechless.

We sat down, he loves my mac book pro - had never touched one before, we ordered coffee and a hot chocolate, he choked at the prices. Then he noticed a lady outside, she's famous, she's on Bongo Star Search. Que ??

I googled her and sure thing, the woman outside ( drinking champagne and johnny walker ) was on my screen in google images wearing the same outfit she had been pictured in, she's like the danni minogue of popstars, only older and not as stylish. Anyway! I asked Kessie if he'd like an autograph, which he did and so off in search I went, sorted. She was very personable. Her name is Rita Paulson. Her manager chatted away quite the thing, had been to Glasgow and loved my accent.. anyway, I thought bugger it, I'll ask for a pic, so before you know it, she's draped herself over Kessie in the bar at the Kempinski. Ha!
He asked for the receipt for the bill as a keepsake. I've still to send him the pics but now as I have a USB stick as gifted to me by Shay, I can put them on that.

Just an average night in Tanzania!

No comments:

Post a Comment