Saturday 30 July 2011

Gas

So, I visit the Movenpick Hotel here rather a lot as the Sasatel internet connection we have at Upanga is so flaky. Also, as this is a big hotel, they have a big generator so when there is a powercut you don't feel it as much. Anyway, there is a hair salon here, called Jazz and the guy who owns it is Gas.

He is from Beirut -which he tells me is amazing and I should visit there with my European passport.

We had a coffee and shared stories of why we're here, what we like to do, where to go, etc.
He used to live in Congo and has a brother still there, his other brother here runs the salon.
I had my first blowdry there the other day - too darn hot for a blowdry but I was feeling a bit skanky and if truth be told I just wanted someone to play with my hair. My ex bf was a hairdresser and as well as making my hair look fab he was also pretty good at playing with it and sometimes its those little tokens of affection that you miss most.

Anyway, sit me down in a chair for an hour and I will interview you - I love finding out about people and Gas is quite a dude. His father is the Lebanese Diplomat here in Tanzania, Gas has 2 salons ( one local ) and another opening soon. He also deals in diamonds and wait for it has 5 jumpy ( he means bouncy ) castles that he rents out to people. Quite the entrepeneur. 

He finds my accent funny and sometimes doesn't get it but on the whole I think he does.
He did a fab blowdry, 30 000 TSH ( VERY expensive for here ) and it was worth every penny as I felt great and enjoyed looking at out of date Hello and Ok! Mags purely for the pictorial nonsense that was featured. Donald Trump in his home with his poseur of a wife, etc.. so so so far emoved from everything here. Anyway, as I paid my bill, he asked if I had time for a coffee. Yes, I did.

So we had a coffee, chatted further and I told him about the Kind Heat Africa School, he offered to sponsor it. I am going to send him a document and see if he sticks to his word. Part of the culture here, the unfortunate part is that people have a tendancy to make big promises and then not deliver..

He asked me out to dinner but I explained I already had plans to meet Shay. Another time perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment