Saturday 25 June 2011

Signs

 learned the sign language alphabet and everyday phrases when I was in the Girl Guides and I've always remembered it, except for the letter H, which is weird as its my initial but hey ho.
On Saturday night, I was jokingly using it to get hold of Graham's attention when he was on the dance floor. Why am I sharing this?
Well a funny thing has transpired.
Rewind to Monday afternoon and whilst I was home at Upanga, I had the TV on - MTV I think and there was a show called The Amazing Race.
I had the volume turned down but I go the jist of the show, 3 teams of 2 people competing for $1 million prize.
They arrived in Maui so I turned the volume up. I've been there before, have a scar from a mosquito biting incident as a result of my trip and my
friend Jonathan has a home in Hana, so I watched it.
Low and behold, one of the teams featured a mother and son. She must have been late 40's, superfit and her son was very handsome and doing incredibly well with the tasks.
It wasn't until the end of the competition that I realised this young dude ( 25 ) was deaf. They didn't win but I was choked when the mum said that the whole experience
with her son was worth more than a million dollars.

Yesterday I received an email with an invitation to a full time opportunity working in a school with deaf and blind children.
I said yes. I start on Monday and have my induction at the nearby school on Friday. I took that as a sign from the universe, it has delivered
exactly what I wanted - a full time opportunity in a school nearby. I didn't want to reside with a family for just a week, I wanted something longer
and more challenging.

I am so excited!!!!!!
I have no idea what to expect, my Swahili isn't great and I don't think that will matter.
Off to revisit how to say my name in sign language.

No comments:

Post a Comment