Wednesday 1 June 2011

To Blog Or Not To Blog

Jambo Jambo!

I've hummed and hawed as to whether or not to do a blog as I begin to spend three months here in Africa. I decided on a whim to do this blog ( took ages to set up as the internet, much like life is so sloooow ), after randomly reading my horoscope in this month's UK edition of Cosmo. I bought it 2 weeks ago and only picked it up to read the horoscope for a laugh. 

 Not my kinda mag it has to be said, however when I was at White Sands I finished Tender is the Night. The horoscope read "Important career discussions or paperwork arrive now. As a result you might resign ( yes ), be promoted or be headhunted by 2012. Hints about travel are confirmed shortly ( yes ). Virgos stand a good chance of a hit blog or book by 2012.

Well, leaving everything to chance, why not do a blog!?
If no one reads it or doesn't enjoy it, at least I will have memories to look back on. I'm also keeping a journal for personal thoughts and taking hundreds of photos..

So today was a day of  enjoyable firsts :
  • Haphazard yoga session, saluting the sun on the balcony at 8am overlooking the Indian Ocean. Will stick at it. Must try not to slide so much tomorrow morning. Getting up earlier ( with the cockerels ) as its scorchio at 8am!!
  • First trip to the White Sands Beach, Oyster Bay & Coco Beach.
  • First  experience of the ins and outs of a Hindu wedding which took place at The Seacliff Hotel on Sunday. I was there having coffee and recognised the Aussie based newlyweds at The White Sands Hotel. They had their ceremony at The Sea Cliff! I congratulated them and before I knew it, I was having lunch with their friends & relatives from Mombasa & London who travelled to Tanzania. They had the ceremony at The Sea Cliff and were staying a few days at White Sands before heading off to Serenget, Ngorogoro & Zanzibar.
  • Saw my first  Frangipani tree ( one of my favourite flowers )  
I am loving learning Swahili and have already cracked, hello how are you ? Can I have a cafe latte please, can i have the bill please ? And happy birthday as it is my friend, the brilliant Guy Venables birthday today, ok, see you later and I can count up to 20. Pole Pole also means slowly slowly, which can easily be applied to the traffiki, the internet and service in general. I like it. Today was Day 5 and I am loving it all.


My favourite phrase I have learned so far is lala nzuri. 
Pronounced phonetically...
It means sleep well...










www.hotelseacliff.com
www.hotelwhitesands.com

No comments:

Post a Comment