Sunday 21 August 2011

Pat & Glen

Pat & Glen

Are a couple I met in Tanga at the Yacht Club. They very kindly gave us the drinks vouchers that they had no use for.
When I say we, I mean I was sitting with K, Anita and Jim. The American couple have been here in Tz in the mountains near Tanga
for 2 years, they are part of the Peace Corps and are teaching. Pat is 68, Glen is 73. They both looked fit and had lots of energy
as you can see in my blog pix on FB.

They sold up their home and followed Pat's dream, which was to teach kids in Africa. She used to teach English in the US.
What a trip! They live in very basic accommodation and mabnage to skype their children and do emails and internet stuff once a week.
They were beaming with joy. Jim explained that this trip has probably saved their lives, he shared a statistic with me ( I can never remember them, ever ! )
and it was that a large % of the US senior citizens die within 6 months to a year of retiring..I'm sure they've got amazing stories and memories to share with their grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment